Friday, November 12, 2004

New addition to my Canon family

Canon PowerShot SD300 (Digital IXUS 40) - RM1,840,
complete with additional battery, 512MB Sandisk SD card and carry pouch.
November 10, 2004 - A spur of the moment purchase, I couldn't take the suspense and lingering thoughts anymore, I had to grab one of those ultra compact cameras in the market. I was very close to getting the smaller Canon Ixus I which was cheaper a few hundred, but after much thought of lasting thru future tech advances and more functionality (eg.optical zoom), I finally decided. If the Canon IXUS 30 was in stock, I would also have taken it, but again, this was a spur of the moment.... hehehe.
A seasoned user of the canon g2, I immediately got accustomed to its menu and functionalities. Probably due to past users' feedback and tech advances, some new cool features have been added (which my G2 didn't have). It has voice memo, wallpaper and sounds user customization, quicker multiple-shots and quicker focusing. My favorite is the voice memo, I can now attach voice memos to each shot ie. leaving voice diaries of each shot instead of guessing the names/locations later during download. Otherwise, I can use it as a general voice recorder, which I have been dying to get for a long time (via a new mobilephone or a dedicated voice recorder, which cost lots more) to capture the coos and first words of my baby girl. With this voice memo, the files are in separate WAV formats apart from the JPG photos after download. That's 2 birds with 1 stone.

3 Comments:

Blogger ~*sher*~ said...

hello there, i'm as stoneage as hell when it comes to digicams, seeing tht u have bought one and i was searching thru websites to see who can offer good advice, i stumbled upon ur blog , which was very informative i must add...so u have bought a Canon Ixus 40, what is the difference between Canon Ixus 40 and Ixus 430? I am really puzzled! Offer me some guidance ;P thks in advance! will chisk ur blog for an answer..TQ

November 17, 2004 9:31 PM  
Blogger Bernzie said...

Hi ~*sher*~

Looks like you have narrowed down your search to the Canon brand. That's a major step. Regarding your question, well by checking my usual website http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/ ..... I see the obvious difference between both of them is size.

The IXUS 40 is smaller. The next difference is the series. The IXUS 430 and its size series uses Compact flash memory cards. IXUS 40 and its small size series (eg. IXUS 30 or IXUS I) uses SD cards. If you do not have either of these cards, it shouldn't make a difference. For me, I had been using compact flash with G2 and wanted to continue using them. However, given my priority towards a small camera, I had to adjust to the new SD format (buy a 512 MB card).

Performance wise (picture quality, etc.) is subjective and you only can witness that yourself. Go to the store, demo both models by snapping around the store and compare its output. Access your priorities and go for it. Have fun.

November 20, 2004 11:11 AM  
Blogger Bernzie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 20, 2004 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home